The most common question we hear from new mothers is – My baby is crying and I don’t know why. I just fed her, she’s slept well, her diaper is clean and I can’t seem to calm her down. The answer to this, more often than not is ‘colic pain’.
What is colic pain – A 3-5 month old baby crying for longer period of times for reasons not included as cited above.
What are the causes – Since the babies have restricted movement, when they drink milk, they trap the gas which can cause a stomach spasm. Also since their digestive system is growing, the muscles can cause spasms. In some cases, it could be indigestion which may or may not be due to allergy to lactose. Sometimes, on breastfed babies, a mother’s diet also has an effect. If you are eating something which is difficult to digest, the baby can also feel indigested.
How can we help – our community of experienced Indian mothers suggest these 5 home remedies to deal with colic pain in babies:
- Burping the baby after every feed is one of the best ways to relieve the baby of the pain. Just carry the baby on your shoulders in vertical position and lightly tap on the back. This helps in releasing the trapped gas in the form of burp. Also the closeness to you helps in calming the baby.
- A light tummy massage either dry or with some castor oil, powdered cumin seeds help too. Cycling movement of the legs also helps in releasing the trapped gas.
- Some suggest giving gripe water, the age old remedy (remember that advert saying ‘kya hua baccha kyuun ro raha hai?’ where every generation suggests giving the gripe water). A lot of pediatricians don’t recommend giving it these days, but if you decide to give, make sure to check the list of ingredients mentioned on the label and it’s a big no if they contain alcohol, sodium bicarbonate, artificial sweetener. Try getting a brand which has natural ingredients like fennel, dill seed oil etc. These ingredients help aid the digestion.
- In case of breastfed babies, if the mother eats lots of greens, that helps with the babies’ digestion.
- If none of it helps, please talk to your pediatrician, he might prescribe some colicaid drops. That should help too.
Our favorite amongst all was eating a lot of greens, it does you and your baby tons of good and definitely has no side effects. Make sure atleast one meal of yours each day has greens in them.
Do let us know in the comments below which out of the 5 remedies worked for you!